I know I’m a day late, but I decided to write a quick post on what I’m thankful for in my life. I’m not one to often hit the “pause” button to reflect on what I’m grateful for, but here are ten things in no specific order:
- God, who seems to have this whole “life” thing figured out a lot better than I do.
- My wife Amber. The gift I never want to get tired of unwrapping (you could take this in so many different ways…)
- My kids. So alike, yet so drastically different in their personalities, quirks, and interests. No one has the ability to make me feel in love and infuriated in the same moment (well, except maybe number two…) I am so proud of you three and honored I get to be your dad.
- Friends, both near and far. Here’s to encouragement, laughter, and doing life together.
- My therapist Nate, who is helping me grow into a better version of myself.
- My job, which allows me to provide for my family in ways I never thought were possible.
- Coffee, which everyone knows is the most important meal of the day.
- Beer. “Because without beer, things don’t seem to go as well.” – quote from Brother Epp, also the slogan of one of my favorite craft breweries, Free State Brewery.
- The knowledge that setbacks in life are not written in stone. That failure is not final…at least if you don’t want it to be. “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” – Japanese Proverb
- This blog. I started writing 13 years ago when I was in college (anyone remember Xanga?!?!), but my writings were mostly private and I never seemed to stick with it consistently. Finally, late last year, I decided to create this blog and muster up the courage to put myself out there. Hitting “Publish” on that first post was terrifying: Would I have anything interesting to say? Would anyone outside of my family read it? In spite of my doubts, I kept writing and am glad that I’ve stuck with it. Thanks for dropping in and reading. As fellow writers can attest to, it means more than you know.
As a bonus, I asked my kids for five things they are thankful for. Again, in no specific order:
- Our family
- My bed
- Peppa Pig
- Elsa and Anna
I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgivings with family and friends. What are you thankful for in your life?